Falu red

I am sure you’ve seen pictures of the typical red cottages when reading about Sweden. That very red color, or rather specific red nuance, is actually famous and known as “Faluröd”. In English I’m guessing that would translate into “Falu red”.

Photo: Petra Roman

You’ve probably seen pictures of these idyllic Swedish red cottages, framed with white wooden fences and matching white house knots. This very particular red paint, Faluröd, is mainly used for exteriors and usually for small cottages and/or summer houses.

You are most likely to see these typical houses when visiting the Swedish West Coast. Quite often the cottages are placed near eachother in a row with a mix of red, blue and yellow exteriors. nuance is a bit different.

By Petra, PR Text&Bild


Published by MissPetra

Freelance writer, proof reader, blogger and webbdesigner based in Sweden. I run this and two other blogs: mrsswede.wordpress.com and prtextochbild/blogg when not writing for others.